> On Aug 10, 2022, at 4:52 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> we currently support Java 8 (plus the newer LTES 11 and 17.
> Java 8 is EOL since mars 2022, and the security support ends in 2025.
>
> Should we decide to drop Java 8 now?

I’m not opposed to it.

> We currently have tests for:
> LDAP API: Java 8, 11, 17 on Linux, Java 8 on windows
> Server:   Java 8, 11, 17 on Linux, Java 11 on windows
> Studio:   Java 11 and 17 on Linux, Java 11 on windows
> Kerby:    Not sure which versions are supported
> Fortress: Java 8

Fortress Core, Realm and Rest are 8, Web is 11, due to latest Apache Wicket’s
requirement.

> I think we should complete the matrix for all the projects and OS (Linux,
> MacOS and Windows)
>
> Now, Java 17 is out for almost a year, an it might become mainstream sooner
> or later.
>
> The questio  is to see if we should keep going with Java 8 for the next
> releases, or if we should decide to switch to Java 11 - or 17 ? -
>
> wdyt ?

I’m OK with 11. Definitely not 17.  Not because of any incompatibility in the
code, but because it limits the user’s options.

Probably should include a change in major version we use.  e.g. Fortress would
be v3.x going forward.  LDAP API 3.x, etc.

—
Shawn