For 2. especially for the online help I would suggest to
- create a problem-oriented context sensitive help in dialogs.
- make offerings beyond documentation: give access to user groups.
- Create an expanding function like in Microsoft Office to allow embedded information for beginners within information for advanced users.

You know this make a lot of sense. So maybe we could move Help to the
wiki and fix OOo buttons to go to the wiki for whatever is needed. This
has the advantage to the community of being a resource like wikipedia
that can be maintained by the community, reduces the bloat from OOo
introduced by the continuous increasing size of Help and it would make
the project more attractive to contributors who would no longer have to
deal with the current restrictive practices imposed on us. The only
disadvantage I see to this suggestion is that it would reduce the
workload for the Sun technical writing team.

I don't see that, actually. Sun TW team is a contributor like others
are and would continue to be one. Be it for OLH or other bits.

I don't believe in the "wisdom of the masses", or at least I believe
to the same degree in the "stupidity of the masses". So even wikipedia
has an editorial framework set up to ensure validity and accuracy of
the information posted. In the way the community, that's ALL OF US ;-)
increasingly contributes, a good editorial process becomes increasingly
important.

We already see this now where the lack of such process leads to
outdated FAQs, for example. It's dangerous because we may lose
the credibility of the user base. And a user that turns away from
docs in frustration may never come back, as user or contributor.

So don't worry taking work away from us, there's still
a lot to do ;-)

Frank