On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 15:42 +0200, Martina Waller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A good contents organization means that the information in a
> documentation is structured according to the context of use. So, if you
> answer the question "Can you find the desired information quickly and in
> a reliable manner" with yes, the documentation has a good contents
> organization. I guess that's not the case. Why not?

I have been thinking about this until now. I am getting déja vue of
"Pinky and the Brain" though.

> As far as I can see we have two different types of contents organization:
> 1. The organization of contents on the ooo website
> 2. The organization of contents within online help or individual
> documentation bits.

Yes.

> In order to improve 1. I would suggest to make publication dates of the
> How to's visible on the web site.

Since what has been written for 1.x.x still mostly applies to 2.x your
suggestion would only mean extra work for those who maintain the pages.
In the project cases this is mostly the leads and I do not see that
other than increasing the workload that there would be any particular
advantage.

> For 2. especially for the online help I would suggest to
> - create a problem-oriented context sensitive help in dialogs.
> - make offerings beyond documentation: give access to user groups.
> - Create an expanding function like in Microsoft Office to allow
> embedded information for beginners within information for advanced users.

You know this make a lot of sense. So maybe we could move Help to the
wiki and fix OOo buttons to go to the wiki for whatever is needed. This
has the advantage to the community of being a resource like wikipedia
that can be maintained by the community, reduces the bloat from OOo
introduced by the continuous increasing size of Help and it would make
the project more attractive to contributors who would no longer have to
deal with the current restrictive practices imposed on us. The only
disadvantage I see to this suggestion is that it would reduce the
workload for the Sun technical writing team.

--
G. Roderick Singleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OpenOffice.org