Joe Smith wrote:
> Kirsten Milligan wrote:
>
> Sorry, I'm tacking on to Kirsten's message instead of the parent.
>
> The presentation does look great--nice job with the layout and
> organization! Yes, and exciting to see all the changes together in context.

Thanks

> Very nice touch to include the picture of Gerry; sorry I never had a
> chance to meet him in person.

I never met him personally and just talked over the phone but
he kept the doc flag up for quite a while.

> I just wanted to add a comment on some of the points under
> "up-to-dateness" (Slide 12). Not for the conference so much, just in
> general.
>
> Hanging out on oooforum, there are regularly people asking questions
> about 1.x and 2.0.x. IMO, it would ideal if the current documentation
> retained at least some clues about the version history. E.g. if the
> documentation for feature X included information like "This feature
> first appeared in OOo 2.3".

Good point. In the FAQ we started to add version labels to questions.
Generally, I would like the docs to address the most current version
only and have older docs move to some archive. For more living
resources like the FAQs the version labels should suffice.

> I realize that is yet more work and just keeping current is already a
> strain, but if we lose the history, then people using an old version are
> likely to be terribly confused when the docs don't match what they're
> seeing.

Right. I'd like to encourage everyone, however, to always use the most
current version. Usually, they contain many bugfixes and improvements
beside new features. And it's free - so what's the deal ;-)

Frank