Gary Schnabl
2775 Honorah
Detroit MI  48209
(734) 245-3324

--- Begin Message ---
Gary Schnabl wrote:
T. J. Frazier wrote:
Gary,

I'm still setting up my new computer (T.S. Fay killed the old one), with Vista Home Premium. When I succeed in installing 3.0m4, I'll let you know if I hit your problems. Meanwhile:

*I/O dialogs* Do both the Vista and OO.o dialogs fail in the same way? If so, you're probably on the right track, chasing a bad file.

*Downloads* You might want to go the extra mile, and check the md5sums. I've been seeing a lot of busted downloads, something I never recall under WXP / FF2. I'm experimenting to narrow down the cause.
/tj

I stopped checking the md5sums after not experiencing any transmission problems in the past.

Right now, I am now uninstalling/reinstalling m4 after going through the nonsense again today of an existing file opening, then instantly closing, coupled with the OOo application aborting itself. Clearly m4 is the worst of all the beta or prereleased versions for v.3. Earlier, I had removed all vestiges of the other beta 3s on my Vista Ultimate system. [I still refer to m4 as being a beta, due to its extreme bugginess...]

Gary

Still no good luck with reinstalling m4 (three strikes, so now I'm out of there...). Somehow, I figured (correctly, it seems) that this must be occurring with others. So, among one of the very first hits while Web searching "Open Office Vista problems," I got this (dated yesterday, some thirteen hours ago) on the Community Forum:

     Can't launch OpenOffice with Windows Vista

<http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=43793#p43793>

Post <http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43793&sid=989e270496a35518b2c6f66815818107#p43793>by *gavlang67 <http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10385&sid=989e270496a35518b2c6f66815818107>* on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:27 pm

I have just downloaded open office when the trial version of windows office ran out. It crashes when I try and open one of the applications whether from the icon or from a file. The document application does not open at all.

Any clues here?

Gav

ps. I have just tried to open all the applications and nothing is working! ??????? :-{

Gary

--
Gary Schnabl
2775 Honorah