OK, done, but I added the link by hand, instead of just adding the template to the new page. The license template(s) add the page to the category. Doing that to a category page, IIRC, is a wiki no-no.

The one thing you need to try and avoid is loops... a template referring to itself for example.

My natural instinct is to dig into the License and Usage templates, so that they generate a parameter for their offspring to use, something like "CatPage" or "NoCat", which would:
(a) produce documentation on the child template's page;
(b) have documentation on the Usage page;
(c) when used, as {{license-name|CatPage}} on the Category page, would:
 (1) not add the Category page to the category, and
(2) add a fixed statement like, "Pages are placed in this category by the {{license-name}} template."

The idea is to simplify adding a license, but: would I just be adding to the complexity, and really making things harder, by doing this?

There are a few things around that we can use... but I'm not 100% sure I follow you train of thought here... There is an extension installed/available that allows us to insert boilerplate text into a page.

We can always give it all a try on a test page and see how it works.

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       ccorn...@openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead