On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 02:20:13 Per Eriksson wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> Jean Hollis Weber skrev:
> > Per Eriksson wrote:
> >> Hey, I just got an idea. Maybe we should stop being old fashioned and
> >> show the user how to unpack and install using the graphical side of
> >> the operating system? I bet 90% of all the users have a graphical
> >> environment even if they like to code...
> >>
> >> I propose to change these to something like "how to unpack using a
> >> preinstalled unpack utility" in your favourite window manager. It
> >> would focus on GNOME, with a small note about that the method is very
> >> similar on most modern Linux desktops.
> >
> > I suggest including both methods, graphical and command-line, with
> > graphical first. Also, perhaps we should mention that many (most?)
> > Linux distros come with OOo installed, so these instructions apply
> > only if people want to install a more recent version.
>
> I think I just discovered a think that will affect many users. In Fedora
> and perhaps many other systems (unsure how many) logging in as root in
> the Graphical system is not allowed.

Not always correct, but you have to do a little configuration to allow it.
However, logging in a root is not necessary - see below.

> This means that a graphical
> instruction will only offer a single user installation, where using the
> console will offer both possibilites.

Not necessarily. On my Mandriva system using KDE, any attempt to install
software results in a password dialog asking for the root password. KDE has a
small background process which detects when root privileges are needed. I
would expect that Gnome has the same.

There is of course the possibility that some distros do not install this
utility (kdesu), but I believe that it is an integral part of kdeutils (which
*should* be installed as part of a default KDE installation).

> > Also, I'm still unclear about what I need to do if I want to replace
> > the version of OOo that came with my distro with a more recent
> > version. (I know how to run the two in parallel.) To replace, do I
> > need to uninstall the distro version of OOo first? I have seen these
> > instructions somewhere, but I think they should either be in the
> > document you are revising, or be linked to it.
>
> I think it's a good idea to add a note about package managers, but we
> should stop there. It's not possible for our guides to document
> different distros or package managers.

In fact, the only program which needs to be available for graphical
installation is gurpmi. This can be triggered directly from either the file
manager or from the FF download window, and *should* in turn trigger a
password dialog.

As far as documenting alternative goes, IMO forget about distros per se, and
concentrate on the installation tools. If we do that, we could probably not
even worry about window managers.

How many commonly used installation tools are there in Linux anyhow (those
which are installed by default)? A quick think on my part tells me that there
are only 3 or 4 that we would need to worry about (Synaptic, YaST, Rpmdrake
are the ones that I've used myself). I know there are others, but the only
ones we need to worry about are the ones which are used as the default entry
in the main menu.

> Per

Alex Fisher

Co-Lead, CD-ROM Project