On 08/27/09 11:44, Nino Novak wrote:
Hi,

just considering to help filling the Wiki gaps regarding German documentation, I wonder if there's some advice. I tried to read the Wiki Editing Policy but found it much too complex, too prescriptive. Is it ok just to start and ask here if problems/questions occur? Or better to contact NL-people?

The short answer is, dive in and get started.

For translating existing documentation, there one main guideline that we ask people to stick with:
 - Page naming
- if at all possible, use the same name as the original article and use DISPLAYTITLE to localize the article title. This makes it a LOT easier to use/set up InterWiki linking, particularly for long term maintenance of these links.
   Example:  wiki/Documentation/Page_Name as the English original
             wiki/DE/Documentation/Page_Name as the German translation
This is the pattern already followed by the translations into Chinese, Italian etc. This is one of the side effects of trying to manage multiple languages on a Wiki without using Namespaces.

The Wiki Editing Policy tries to outline the various methods, templates and ways we are doing things within the Documentation subsection of the Wiki. A few key parts... the List of Templates in use... and the last section on Localizing content are probably of most interest to someone translating pages.

Other than that.. dive in... let everyone know what sections you're working on.. and ask questions here if things are not working quite as expected, or you need assistance with linking back to other languages (using the language templates) etc.

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       ccorn...@openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead