On Thursday 27 August 2009 12:14, ccornell - OpenOffice.org wrote:
> On 08/27/09 11:44, Nino Novak wrote:

> For translating existing documentation, there one main guideline that
> we ask people to stick with:
>   - Page naming
>     - if at all possible, use the same name as the original article
> and use DISPLAYTITLE to localize the article title.  This makes it a
> LOT easier to use/set up InterWiki linking, particularly for long
> term maintenance of these links.
>     Example:  wiki/Documentation/Page_Name as the English original
>               wiki/DE/Documentation/Page_Name as the German
> translation This is the pattern already followed by the translations
> into Chinese, Italian etc.  This is one of the side effects of trying
> to manage multiple languages on a Wiki without using Namespaces.

No problem with this.

> The Wiki Editing Policy tries to outline the various methods,
> templates and ways we are doing things within the Documentation
> subsection of the Wiki.  A few key parts... the List of Templates in
> use... and the last section on Localizing content are probably of
> most interest to someone translating pages.

The Templates seem to be mainly in English. Maybe I'l translate some of
them when needing it. Following the same page naming convention might
be a good initial choice?

> Other than that.. dive in... let everyone know what sections you're
> working on.. and ask questions here if things are not working quite
> as expected, or you need assistance with linking back to other
> languages (using the language templates) etc.

Ok. My drafts will appear in my own userspace
under /Drafts/DE/Documentation.

The only concern left is that transfering existing documents into the
wiki might violate copyright. I'll come back to this issue when I get
my head on it.

Nino