kirk wrote:
Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
Regina has identified some significant problems with Chapter 7 (Functions and Formulas) of the draft Calc Guide, but she does not have the time to revise it. The chapter probably needs major restructuring as well as other revision.

I do not have the knowledge or experience to revise it myself (I put together the existing chapter), and all the people I know who have the knowledge do not have the time.

If someone has the knowledge, but can't write well in English, several of us can work with you on the writing side. Or, if anyone has written something suitable in another language, we can get it translated into English.

If you can't help directly, please try to find someone who can help and have them contact me or the list.

Copies of the chapter (and others in the Calc Guide) are on the wiki (where Regina's comments are) and in .odt on the OOoAuthors website, so people can work in whatever medium they prefer. At this point it's much more important to get something useful written than to worry about the form in which it's provided.

--Jean

I've begun looking at it, and have made a few changes already, including adjusting the Chapter Title. Rather than "Functions and Formulas", it really should be have been "Formulas and Functions" since you really need to understand what a formula is before moving on the Functions. The next thing I'm going to want to do when I have time again is switch the "Using Functions" and "Creating Formula" sections around.

Kirk,
I've finally had a chance to look at all the work you have done on this chapter of the Calc Guide, and I want to thank you very much! Are you still planning to do some more, or have you finished for now? I'd like to bring the changes into the ODT version of the chapter, and I'd also like to include your name in the list of authors, but I don't know your surname.

--Jean