On Tuesday 03 August 2010 14:45, Clayton wrote:
> If someone was to ask me.. roughly how many people are active members
> of the OOo Documentation project I don't think I could give an answer
> or even a reasonable guess.

Why not?
You are one of the (co)leads, so you should... ;-)

As for me, I'd suggest (it's just one possibility) to look at what
happens on the communication channels. So you can count the number of
participants e.g. in the Mailing list in the last - say - three or six
months, and divide by the number of mails written.

For the last 3 months (since May 4th) in the doc-dev list I count 25
members and 73 posts, so we have 2.9 posts/person on average. Top
activists are: Jean & TJ (9 posts) and myself (7 posts - oh god - I
obviously often cannot hold my tongue) followed by Claire (6) and three
people with 4 posts. So we have 43 posts by 7 people, i.e. less than
10% most active producing 60% of the activity.

But this does not show how many things have happen behind the curtains.
You really should have a look on the agenda for 2010 and see what has
been accomplished and what not - and for whom it is of interest.

Wiki category cleanup should be mentioned (and discussed, so more people
can take advantage of the improvments), updates and publishing of the
UG's are important milestons too ... and all those other little things
I don't remember.

> If I look at:
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectMemberList the
> list goes on forever.  The vast majority are not active, and never
> have been active members.

Such full lists do not distinguish active from ancient members.

> Why has this question come up?  Well, I'm working on ideas for an OOo
> Documentation Project presentation to be given at OOoCon 2010 in
> Budapest.  I'm working on a few ideas (brainstorming at this point)
> surrounding the people who work so hard on the docs... how many there
> are, what we are doing (or not doing) to mentor the new members....
> among many other ideas.

The same questions as above: how many User Guides, and how many chapters
do we have in total, how many have been updated by how many (different)
people on average? (I don't know if it's possible to collect all the
data from the logs, but one should try. At least in the Wiki it should
be doable.

> So, how do we find out how many active or semi-active project members
> we have?  Would it work to create a table on the OOoWiki and have
> everyone add their OOoWiki userID (and maybe pet document within the
> Doc Project) be a way to get a bit of a Straw Poll of active members?
>  What do you guys think?

Why not collect a "done"-list from people? E.g. you could ask "what has
happened and what do you think is most important?" or similar
questions. Or even "what are you interested in?"...

BTW: What about download numbers? Which chapters / Guides have been
downloaded most often? From the wiki or from OOoAuthors? PDF or ODT? Is
there a variation in time (e.g. w/ respect to new software versions
release dates) or do the numbers increase - or decrease?

What about translations? How many languages, how many chapters
translated ...

There are many interesting questions I think.

Maybe others have even more questions...

Nino