On Tue, 2020-02-04 at 07:02 -0500, Neil Horman wrote:
> > But if we can do the versioning in the master, LTS can backport it
> > and can have
> > mature version of that API in LTS without breaking the existing
> > users.
> >

> But why bother?  The only thing you've changed is the version
> tagging.  Its ok
> to leave that alone in LTS, you just cant change it.
>
> Thats part of the burden of an LTS release, it will have some drift
> from the
> upstream head, because you have to keep things stable.  So you
> stabilize the
> upstream ABI version for this API and just never backport it to the
> current LTS
> release.

Hi,

A customer (OVS) explicitly and specifically requested backporting the
symbol change to 19.11, as they don't want to enable experimental APIs
in their releases. I replied that it would only be acceptable with
aliasing to keep compatibility, and Ferruh very kindly did the work to
implement that.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi