On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 3:27 AM Zhang, RobinX <robinx.zh...@intel.com> wrote:
> The idea behind this is to monitor the quality of the link in the field
> during testpmd operations.
> It is supported in Linux driver with ethtool command "ethtool -m xxx", but
> missing in DPDK.
>
> This feature is requested by customer 6WIND and we have been told this is
> highly important in production.
> 6WIND also mentioned some other customers: NEC, EOLO and Open Systems.
> Similar request also received from customer CheckPoint.
>

> > > What do you think to have this as a sample application?
> >
> > It can be in the directory app/ maybe.
> >

> Base on the above background, I'm not sure if customer could accept this
> feature as a sample application.

Rather than add this in testpmd or a sample app, does it make sense to
provide this info as a telemetry command?
This makes those status information available in any dpdk application.

There is a "but" with this proposal.
Existing applications might have been calling "eeprom" ethdev API
already, and adding such a callback in telemetry could lead to
concurrency issues.

I see that we have other telemetry callbacks for stats, link status
which might already have the issue.

--
David Marchand