On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:19:59 +0200
Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com> wrote:

> 2016-06-16 10:23, Jan Viktorin:
> > I think, we should consider to move it to somebody else. I would work on
> > it, however, I don't see all the tasks that are to be done. That's why I
> > was waiting to finalize those patchs by David or Thomas. For me, the
> > important things were to generalize certain things to remove dependency on
> > PCI. This is mostly done (otherwise the SoC patchset couldn't be done in
> > the way I've posted it).
> >
> > Now, there is some pending work to remove pmd_type. Next, to find out some
> > generalization of rte_pci_device/driver to create rte_device/driver (I've
> > posted several suggestions in the 0000 of SoC patchset).

For the pmd_type removal, I am not very sure about the original David's
intentions. What should be the result?

Should there be a special struct rte_virt_device or something like that?

> > What more?
>
> We need a clean devargs API in EAL, not directly related to hotplug.
> Then the hotplug can benefit of the devargs API as any other device config.

Do we have some requirements for this? Would it be a complete redefinition
of the API? I don't see the relations to hotplug.

> The EAL resources (also called devices) need an unique naming convention.

No idea about this. What do you mean by the unique naming convention?

Jan