Github user paul-rogers commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/518

    As it turns out, the sample code shown was actually tested with a stock
Jackson JSON parser: it does work. No parser changes are needed.

    The issue is not whether we can make the parser do what is needed: the code
posted in the comment above demonstrated a solution.

    The issue is how we incorporate that code into the JSON parser to clean up
partial records and prevent schema changes. When I have time, I'll investigate
that question in greater depth.

    IMHO, without a proper fix, we should simply state that Drill does not
support malformed JSON. If an input file might be incorrect, run it though a
clean-up step before allowing Drill to scan it. Otherwise, we are opening the
door to many hard-to-resolve bugs when people ask Drill to scan corrupt JSON:
the result, without a proper fix, would be undefined -- which is worse than the
current behavior that simply fails the scan with an error.

    Let's follow up again after I (or someone) has had a chance to figure out
if we can undo a partially built record. If we can do that, then we've got a
path to a clean solution: recover the parser (as shown earlier) and discard the
in-flight record (as we need to research.)

---
with INFRA.
---