*This is my rule class*

public class CartesianProductJoinRule extends RelOptRule {

    public static final CartesianProductJoinRule INSTANCE = new
CartesianProductJoinRule(DrillJoinRel.class);

    public CartesianProductJoinRule(Class<DrillJoinRel> clazz) {
        super(operand(clazz, operand(RelNode.class, any()),
operand(RelNode.class, any())),
                "CartesianProductJoin");
    }

    @Override
    public boolean matches(RelOptRuleCall call) {
        DrillJoinRel drillJoin = call.rel(0);
        return drillJoin.getJoinType() == JoinRelType.INNER &&
drillJoin.getCondition().isAlwaysTrue();
    }

    @Override
    public void onMatch(RelOptRuleCall call) {
        DrillJoinRel join = call.rel(0);
        RelNode firstRel = call.rel(1);
        RelNode secondRel = call.rel(2);
        HepRelVertex right = (HepRelVertex) join.getRight();
        HepRelVertex left = (HepRelVertex) join.getLeft();

        List<RelDataTypeField> firstFields = firstRel.getRowType().
getFieldList();
        List<RelDataTypeField> secondFields = secondRel.getRowType().
getFieldList();

        RelNode firstTable = ((HepRelVertex)firstRel.
getInput(0)).getCurrentRel();
        RelNode secondTable = ((HepRelVertex)secondRel.
getInput(0)).getCurrentRel();

        //call.transformTo(???);
    }
}

*To register the rule*, I overrode the *getOptimizerRules* method in my
storage plugin class

public Set<? extends RelOptRule> getOptimizerRules(OptimizerRulesContext
optimizerContext, PlannerPhase phase) {
    switch (phase) {
    case LOGICAL_PRUNE_AND_JOIN:
    case LOGICAL_PRUNE:
    case LOGICAL:
        return getLogicalOptimizerRules(optimizerContext);
    case PHYSICAL:
        return getPhysicalOptimizerRules(optimizerContext);
    case PARTITION_PRUNING:
    case JOIN_PLANNING:
*        return ImmutableSet.of(CartesianProductJoinRule.INSTANCE);*
    default:
        return ImmutableSet.of();
    }

}

The rule is firing as expected but I'm lost when it comes to the
conversion. Earlier, you said "the new equivalent ScanRel is to have the joined
ScanRel nodes's GroupScans", so

   1. How can I obtain the left and right tables group scans ?
   2. What exactly do you mean by joining them ? Is there a utility method
   to do so ? Or should I manually create a new single group scan and add the
   information I need there ? Looking into other *GroupScan*
   implementations, I found that they have references to some runtime objects
   such as the storage plugin and the storage plugin configuration. At this
   stage, I don't know how to obtain those !
   3. Precisely, what kind of object should I use to represent a *RelNode*
   that represents the whole join ? I understand that I need to use an object
   that has implements the *RelNode* interface. Then I should add the
   created *GroupScan* to that *RelNode* instance and call
   *call.transformTo(newRelNode)*, correct ?

*Muhammad Gelbana*
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mgelbana