Github user paul-rogers commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/819

    Three comments.

    1. The equals() method for BatchSchema and MaterializedField should
consider all fields, including precision. If it does not, that is likely a bug
from when those fields were added. If we need a more general rule, then provide
isSameType(), isSameMajorType() methods to be clearer.

    2. It would be *VERY* useful to have a spec for this work. Trying to
reverse engineer a spec from code changes is quite difficult. It will be hard
for future maintainers to keep things working correctly without a spec to
explain.

    3. If/when we can extract schema hints from data, then it seems a simple
process to feed that information into the system created here. So, we can
tackle that as a separate discussion.

---
with INFRA.
---