Thanks Aman for organizing the Hackathon!

The list included many good ideas for Drill 2.0. Some of those require changes
to Drill’s “public” interfaces (file format, client protocol, SQL behavior,
etc.)

At present, Drill has no good mechanism to handle backward/forward
compatibility at the API level. Protobuf versioning certainly helps, but can’t
completely solve semantic changes (where a field changes meaning, or a
non-Protobuf data chunk changes format.) As just one concrete example, changing
to Arrow will break pre-Arrow ODBC/JDBC drivers because class names and data
formats will change.

Perhaps we can prioritize, for the proposed 2.0 release, a one-time set of
breaking changes that introduce a versioning mechanism into our public APIs.
Once these are in place, we can evolve the APIs in the future by following the
newly-created versioning protocol.

Without such a mechanism, we cannot support old & new clients in the same
cluster. Nor can we support rolling upgrades. Of course, another solution is to
get it right the second time, then freeze all APIs and agree to never again
change them. Not sure we have sufficient access to a crystal ball to predict
everything we’d ever need in our APIs, however...

Thanks,

- Paul