(Guessing ...) It is possible that the root cause for DRILL-6606 is similar
to that in  DRILL-6453 -- that is the new "early sniffing" in the
Hash-Join, which repeatedly invokes next() on the two "children" of the
join *during schema discovery* until non-empty data is returned (or NONE,
STOP, etc).  Last night Salim, Vlad and I briefly discussed alternatives,
like postponing the "sniffing" to a later time (beginning of the build for
the right child, and beginning of the probe for the left child).

However this would require some work time. So what should we do about 1.14 ?

  Thanks,

          Boaz