Hi Nicolas,

To address your last issue about the wide variety of ways we have to write
tests... Yes, you are right that there is a wonderful variety of techniques
that evolved over the life of the project. Unlike Spark, we do not enjoy an
over-abundance of contributors, so we've pretty much left the old-style tests
(and code) unchanged, just added newer ones on top. This also explains why
"plug-ins" are not actually pluggable. Ugly, yes, but the best the team can do
with limited resources. (We're always looking for volunteers!)

For the MapR DB tests, one approach is to just do whatever your predecessors
did on the read side.

On the other hand, the path of least resistance is to follow the patterns in
the CSV tests (and in ExampleTest) to use the newer frameworks for setup, the
newer tools for running queries and capturing results, and the Row Set
framework to verify the results. I find I can whip out a unit test in just a
few minutes using these newer tools.

Also, please do contribute improvements where you can, or at least file JIRA
tickets with your suggestions so that the project benefits from your experience
learning how to contribute to Drill.

Thanks,
- Paul

    On Friday, May 31, 2019, 10:10:14 AM PDT, Nicolas A Perez