The release manager really should be deciding what makes the cut and what
does not.

That is the origin of the tradition of allowing any committer to be a
release manager. If somebody is unhappy about the content going into a
release, they can roll another release that meets their particular release.

Laurent is managing the 1.19 release and he should be managing it.