I'll throw my .02 here...  As a user of Drill, I've only had the occasion to
use the Union once.  However, when I used it, it consumed so much memory, we
ended up finding a workaround anyway and stopped using it.  Honestly, since we
improved the implicit casting rules, I think Drill is a lot smarter about how
it reads data anyway.  Bottom line, I do think we could drop the union and
repeated union.

The repeated lists and maps however are unfortunately something that does come
up a bit.   Honestly, I'm not sure what work is remaining here but TBH Drill
works pretty well at the moment with most of the data I'm using it for.  This
would include some really nasty nested JSON objects.

-- C