P.P.S. since I'm spamming this thread today. With

> this suggests to me that we should keep putting effort into: embedded Drill, Windows support, rapid installation and setup, low "time to insight".

I'm not going so far as to suggest that Drill be thought of as desktop software, rather that ad hoc Drill deployments working on small (Gb) to big (Tb) data may be as, or more, important than long lived, heavily integrated, professionally managed deployments working on really Big data (Pb). Perhaps the last category belongs almost entirely to BigQuery, Athena, Snowflake and the like nowadays anyway.

I still think a cluster is the often the most effective way to deploy Drill so the question contemplated is really "Can we make it faster and easier to spin up a cluster (and embedded Drill), connect to data sources and start running (successful) queries"?