I believe what Julian wanted to highlight was this line in the announcement:

> As this is our first release under the Apache Incubator program, note
that Apache has specific requirements that must be met before +1 binding
votes can be cast by PMC members. Please refer to the policy at
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#policy for more details.

Some of the statements in that document:

- Before casting +1 binding votes, individuals are REQUIRED to:
    - download all signed source code packages onto their own hardware
    - verify that they meet all requirements of ASF policy on releases, for
example:
        - Every ASF release MUST contain one or more source packages, which
MUST be sufficient for a user to build and test the release provided they
have access to the appropriate platform and tools
        - All supplied packages MUST be cryptographically signed by the
Release Manager with a detached signature
        - Binary/bytecode package MUST have the same version number as the
source release and MUST only add binary/bytecode files that are the result
of compiling that version of the source code release and its dependencies
        - Each package MUST provide a LICENSE file and a NOTICE file which
account for the package's exact content. LICENSE and NOTICE MUST NOT
provide unnecessary information about materials which are not bundled in
the package, such as separately downloaded dependencies. For source
packages, LICENSE and NOTICE MUST be located at the root of the
distribution. For additional packages, they MUST be located in the
distribution format's customary location for licensing materials, such as
the META-INF directory of Java "jar" files.
    - validate all cryptographic signatures
    - compile as provided
    - test the result on their own platform

Additionally, as an incubator project, we are required to have a DISCLAIMER
file indicating that we are undergoing incubation.

One question I have: for the binary tarball package, we have a LICENSE and
NOTICE file in the root of the distribution which is what we have always
done, but I have not also included these files in the individual JAR files
under META-INF. I thought that having them in the root would be sufficient,
but now I'm thinking they might actually also need to be in each JAR file
since those files will be made available through Maven independent of our
tarball packaging. I checked the Maven artifacts for previous versions of
Druid and they don't include the LICENSE and NOTICE file in the JAR, but it
feels to me like this will be required. Thoughts welcome.

David