Hi Julian,

Thank you for the thorough review!

For the GPG key, my understanding is that it was expected that users would
fetch the key by either running 'gpg --import KEYS' on the KEYS file (as
per https://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#keys-policy) or by
importing it from the Apache phonebook (
https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/davidlim.asc) or grabbing it from
a well-known key server (e.g.
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=davidlim%40apache.org&op=index). Did
this not work for you?

> src.tar.gz file contains files such as
./PaxHeaders.X/apache-druid-0.13.0-incubating-src_indexing-service_src_test_java_org_apache_druid_s
I will check to see whether these files are expected or not.

The files you identified from the diff against the git tag are all either
expected to be omitted or were generated as part of the source packaging.

For instructions on building the release from source, I mentioned the
command in the original post but it may have been somewhat buried. The
command I used was:

mvn clean install -Papache-release -Dtar

I'll make sure that this is updated in the docs.

As for the file exclusions, maybe the committers who helped set up the
exclusions can comment. I suspect that many of them are either a) files
which cannot properly support the licensing header and remain syntactically
valid, or b) deemed to be insignificant in its creative content and
therefore not protected by copyright law, as per:
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions.

Thanks again!

David