Hi all,

The forced git push is usually used to make the commit history clean, which
I understand its importance. However, one of its downsides is, because it
overwrites the commit history, we cannot tell the exact change between
commits while reviewing a PR. This increases the burden for reviewers
because they have to go through the entire PR again after a forced push.
For the same reason, we are suggesting to not use it in our documentation (
https://github.com/apache/druid/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#if-your-pull-request-shows-conflicts-with-master),
but I don't believe this documentation is well read by many people (It is a
good doc, BTW. Maybe we should promote it more effectively).

Since branch sharing doesn't usually happen for us (AFAIK, there has been
no branch sharing so far), I think this is the biggest downside of using
forced push. To me, clean commit history is not a big gain compared to how
much it can make the review process worse, especially when the PR is big.

So, I would like to suggest forbidding git forced push for the Druid
repository. It seems possible to disable it by creating an infra ticket (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13613?jql=text%20~%20%22force%20push%22).
I can do it if everyone agrees.

Would like to hear what people think.
Jihoon