On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> none of the excalibur (ex-avalon) components are OSGi enabled. this
>> makes it a little tough to gradually migrate an avalon-based
>> application to OSGi. i've had a look around and can't seem to find
>> suitable releases around.
>>
>> this is a little bit of a crazy idea but if there enough interested
>> committers then maybe we could go over to excalibur and ask for karma
>> to release new versions of pretty much everything with OSGi bindings.
>> i've taken a look and i'd be willing to do the leg work (it doesn't
>> look too bad) if enough committers were willing to review the
>> releases.
>>
>> opinions?
>>
> Well I'm not sure if there is enough interest in doing this; but it's
> an interesting idea anyway.
> Now, I think there are two things to consider, the first one is to
> remove the dependencies to the Avalon framework from the excalibur
> components; the other one is how to OSGi enable them.
>
> In Cocoon (where else?) we already have versions of some of the
> components without the Avalon dependencies (mostly the XML stuff),
> long time ago I started to remove the dependencies from other components
> (like the source resolver).

cool

i see the first short term goal as cutting new OSGi enabled point
versions (so that they can be used in OSGi environments) . i think
this is reasonable short term goal which wouldn't take too much doing.

then take a look at creating OSGi services based on them with new
major versions. this would be more effort but could be prioritised.

> So, in short, I'm not sure if I can dedicate a lot of time to help, but
> at least I'm interested :)

i'm willing to do most of the leg work but it's not going to fly
unless there are people with time and interest enough to review
releases

> (Maybe we should move this thread to excalibur?)

i'm still interest

1. felix is the OSGi hub. i still hope that some more people
interested mostly in OSGi might sign up to help ;-)
2. felix commons lacks a number of services (for example, data source
pools) for which excalibur has solid implementations. one option would
be create bundles in the felix commons based on improved excalibur
components.

- robert