yes,

${x} actually defines a closure {...} and then immediately expands it.
Commands typed directly into the shell also result in a closure being
created and executed, so it is difficult to distinguish between:

where we'd like it to fail with 'unknown command'

and

> ${x}

where we'd like it to behave like $x

RFC132 is keen to minimise unnecessary typing and so variables can be
expanded directly without enclosing in {}.

However, as in Unix shells,you sometimes need to delimit variables from the
following text,
for example x = "${ab}c". This is still possible in Gogo, without using ${}
- e.g. "$ab'c'", but it is not as intuitive as "${ab}c" which is commonly
used elsewhere.

Derek