Actually I am not exactly sure where which behaviour is implemented. I will dig into it though.

What I can see from the outside when using felix fileinstall and config admin service together is the following:

- If I have config in etc which is monitored by fileinstall then each .cfg file causes a config pid to be created. It also monitors for changes and reflects them in the config pids. (This is probably all done by fileinstall)
- When I change a config pid with config admin service there are two cases:
1. The config originated in a file from etc. In this case changes are persisted back to the original file (I think this happens additional to the internal persistence of config admin service) 2. The config was created in config admin service. In this case no additional write happens So it is very well possible that the implementation of the "etc" peristence came from fileinstall.

So about the creation of new files for existing pids:
I understand that doing this in config admin service directly may not be the right place. So perhaps this is a theme for fileinstall? I know that we could also do the initial creation in the karaf code but then we have another place where we fiddle with persistence. This is why I ask this here. I think the creation of new files should be done in the same module that currently implements the write to the etc files.

Christian