At this point I’d also like to re-affirm that the OSGi RFC documents are
public, and that there is a public feedback mechanism for RFC bugs. As the
holder of the pen for Transaction Control, the JAX-RS whiteboard, and the JPA
service updates I can truthfully say that community discussion and feedback has
influenced the direction of those RFCs/specifications, not just the converter.

As David says below, you can gain increased control over the direction of
things anywhere by becoming a member/committer/employee. Committers in Apache
Aries have ample opportunity to review and discuss the many implementations
built there, just as they do in Felix. This right applies both before and after
the release of the specification. What Apache Committers can’t do is make
changes to an OSGi RFC/spec, for that they need to lobby an OSGi member. This
is exactly the same for a committer in Eclipse, on Github, or in a private
company, so it leaves Apache committers just as equal as everyone else. The
main difference here is that there are a lot of OSGi members who believe in
Apache, and therefore contribute as committers. Are we really saying that those
committers should be disallowed because they are OSGi members and therefore
have “more power”?

Finally, there are a lot of projects and/or components in Open Source
(including Apache) that are written by a single committer, typically the person
with the itch to scratch. Only If that committer tries to prevent discussion
about, or changes to, that code is there a problem for the community. To my
knowledge this does not apply to any of the components in Apache Aries or
Apache Felix.

Best Regards,

Tim Ward