> [...]
> the
> the

> of
> applies
> need
> >>

> >> I have no problems with the above.

> everyone
> >>

> >> I don't care about how Eclipse or Github project are operated.  We're
> >> talking about Apache projects and there are rules.  One of them is that
> >> committers are considered equal.

> really
> >>>

> >> Not disallowed, but yes, they should not do something within the ASF
> that
> >> other committers who are not OSGi members can't do.
> >> So to be clear: if any committer want to work on an implementation of an
> >> RFC or spec from the OSGi Alliance, that's fine, whether they are OSGi
> >> members or not.
> >> If an OSGi member want to work on spec design within the ASF bounds, I
> >> think that's not fine.   In particular, if someone propose to develop
> some
> >> code to implement an RFC when the API from the developped and later
> >> introduced back into the RFC document, I think that's definitely spec
> work,
> >> and should not be done within the RFC.
> >>
> >> To be crystal clear, I have a problem with Ray willing to bring code for
> >> implementing rfc-193 in Aries, when the code that he wants to bring
> >> contains lots of things that are not reflected in the RFC document and
> the
> >> opposite.  Ray and David explained that the RFC document will be
> updated in
> >> the coming weeks to reflect those changes.  This is definitely spec
> work,
> >> and that's fine, but I don't think it should happen at Apache.  Again,
> it's
> >> a timing problem wrt to changes in the document and changes in the code
> :
> >> if the code is changes first by the spec lead, and later validated on
> >> during OSGi meetings and later integrated into the spec document and
> made
> >> public, I definitely see that as spec work, not as building an
> >> implementation, and imho this is unfair to other committers because it
> does
> >> not follow the ASF rules.  It's certainly open source, but not the
> Apache
> >> way.
> >>

> > And btw, even from a legal ASF pov, I'm not sure how things hold.  People
> > are writing code copyrighted to the OSGi Alliance directly in the ASF…
>

> And when *you* write code in the ASF, you own the copyright to that code.
> Apache does not require or expect that copyright ownership of the code is
> transferred to the ASF, only that it is licensed under the terms of the
> ASL. The fact that OSGi Alliance may be the copyright holder of some code
> does not present any problems.
>
> Though maybe you shouldn’t seek legal advice on a developer mailing list

Well, the code does not seem to comply to the ASF rules at leat:
  https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

   1. This section refers only to works submitted directly to the ASF by
   the copyright owner or owner's agent.
   2. This section refers only to works submitted directly to the ASF by
   the copyright owner or owner's agent.
   3. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in
   it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
      1. remove such notices, or
      2. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
      project release, or
      3. provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
      relocation of the notices.
   4. Each source file should include the following license header -- note
   that there should be no copyright notice in the header:

Committers do sign an ICLA or CCLA.  In both cases, there's a Grant of
Copyright License whereby the owner gives to the ASF "a perpetual,
worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable   copyright
license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,   publicly display,
publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your   Contributions and such
derivative works."    I suppose that would be different if the code would
be written elsewhere and later imported in the ASF.
Afaik, the OSGi rfc / spec work is covered by the Distribution and Feedback
License whereby "The OSGi Alliance hereby grants you a limited copyright
license to copy and display this document (the “Distribution”) in any
medium without fee or royalty. This Distribution license is exclusively for
the purpose of reviewing and providing feedback to the OSGi Alliance. "
I'm definitely no lawyer, but again, not sure how everything holds together.
But you're right, given I'm no layer, I'll ask legal about that.

--
Guillaume Nodet