From: "Viswa Ramamoorthy" <viswaramamoor...@yahoo.com.invalid>
Date: Mar 5, 2018 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: GSoC 2018: Fineract CN SMS & Email Notifications
To: "dev" <dev@fineract.apache.org>, "Myrle Krantz" <my...@apache.org>
Cc: "Isaac Kamga" <isaac.ka...@mifos.org>, "Acha Bill" <achabil...@gmail.com>,
"Markus Geiss" <m...@apache.org>

 Hello Myrle,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Dockerization of services.
My experience with embedding infrastructure inside application JVM (even
for development purposes) has not been great. In a development, when things
change so much, embedding infrastructure adds additional time to bootstrap
the whole thing when application restarts needed. Having external
infrastructures gives better visibility as well as their failure to start
can be diagnosed better (e.g. a port is not available because another
instance of a infrastructure is already running in the background).
With external infrastructures, installation becomes cumbersome if we go
with installation of infrastructure and every one need to follow those
steps to install to get there. My PR is really to solve that part.
Some of the complexity, that you alluded to, are really complexity of
design/developing in micro services architecture.
Couple of points about logging (that stays within Docker) as well as debug
mode with Docker deployment, are very much solvable with Docker deployment.
Regarding high amount of resources needed for deployment, one strategy that
could be looked into is to provide capability to selectively start services
needed for a feature to complete and leave the full deployment to
integration environments.
If you looking into collapsing micro-services into a single war, for
development purposes, it can be a strategy that would work. But all of the
services need to be using compatible version of frameworks and managing
different configurations can be challenge.
Having infrastructure as Docker can still come handy in day to day
development. I understand the timeline/priority. No problem.
RegardsViswa

    On ‎Monday‎, ‎March‎ ‎5‎, ‎2018‎ ‎07‎:‎17‎:‎41‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EST, Myrle Krantz