Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:51 PM
To: dev@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ASJS] AS to HTML5 in action: announcing the ASJS Publisher and the VanillaSDK JS framework.

On 26 January 2013 01:40, Hans Van den Keybus <h...@dotdotcommadot.com>wrote:

But if I understand it correctly, wouldn't it mean in Erik's model that
when I create my own custom datagrid component for instance, I would also
have to write a JS version for this? (For me personally this is what I
would want to avoid -- writing JS myself :) )

I hate to be a party-pooper here :) But I think if you're going to be
building HTML/JS applications there is no way
around having to learn at least a measure of JS and do some JS coding
manually.
When creating an HTML component I think JS is actually exactly the language
you need to add the UI logic, since the UI logic
is very platform specific (in this case the browser) it is probably easier
to have those pieces of code done in JS than it is
to cross-compile them.
From where I sit I think having all of your business logic (which in most
applications will be the brunt of your code) will make
much more sense being cross-compiled.
That's why I was suggesting the integration options with existing HTML
components, there's a wealth of them out there ready to be taken
advantage of. If you want to build components from the ground up, IMHO,
going native is the best choice.
But feel free to disagree and prove me wrong of course :)

cheers,

Roland