Technically, I don't see any reason why it can't be customized. It's supposed
to be customizable via css.

Flex seems to have a css file specific to the Flex blog here:
http://blogs.apache.org/flex/page/asf-custom.css

It seems to me a question as to whether there's a policy against customizing
the blog more than anything else…

Harbs