We've also been trying to follow the nvie.com git flow, including the --no-ff
branch merging for our project hosted at:
https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-viewer-flex

We've found that GitHub for Windows does not support --no-ff when merging our
feature branches. We've also found that GitHub for Windows will create a new
merge commit rather than give an error when it's syncing with the remote and
the local branch is ahead of the remote branch.

An issue we've found with doing "git pull --rebase" is that it will remove our
merge commits. This is described in detail here:
http://notes.envato.com/developers/rebasing-merge-commits-in-git/

The solution is to use these command after checking out the develop branch:
$ git fetch origin
$ git rebase --preserve-merges origin/develop

For GUI clients, we've been happy with SourceTree and have been testing the
Windows version as well:
http://sourcetreeapp.com

--Dasa