In git bash:

omuppira@OMUPPIRA /c/p/flex_os/workspace/flexroot/git/test
*$ git init*
Initialized empty Git repository in
c:/p/flex_os/workspace/flexroot/git/test/.git/

omuppira@OMUPPIRA /c/p/flex_os/workspace/flexroot/git/test (master)
*$ git remote add -f origin
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-whiteboard.git*
Updating origin
remote: Counting objects: 67595, done.
remote: Total 67595 (delta 23131), reused 67595 (delta 23131)
Receiving objects: 100% (67595/67595), 205.68 MiB | 624 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (23131/23131), done.
>From https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-whiteboard
 * [new branch]      master     -> origin/master

omuppira@OMUPPIRA /c/p/flex_os/workspace/flexroot/git/test (master)
*$ git config core.sparsecheckout true*

omuppira@OMUPPIRA /c/p/flex_os/workspace/flexroot/git/test (master)
*$ echo bigosmallm/ >> .git/info/sparse-checkout*

omuppira@OMUPPIRA /c/p/flex_os/workspace/flexroot/git/test (master)
*$ git pull origin master*
>From https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-whiteboard
 * branch            master     -> FETCH_HEAD

In the directory, you should see only .git/ and bigosmallm/ directories.
 Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, TortoiseGit does not seem to support this feature.  But once
I set it up this way using Git Bash, I can continue to use TortoiseGit as
usual.

Thanks,
Om