On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 3/20/13 9:15 AM, "jude" <flexcapaci...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Om <bigosma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> Please go on with the rambling :-)   Its nice to know that others are
> >> thinking about things I am thinking as well - and that I am crazy!
> >>
> >> BTW, I have a nice little carefully crafted XSLT that converts a basic
> FXG
> >> node with just the Rect element to SVG.  I am planning on tackling the
> >> 'fill' element next.  Once I have a decently working XSLT that simply
> >> converts an FXG skin that can be directly rendered on a browser, I will
> >> start posting my work for others to look at at hopefully, contribute.
> >>

> > Cool. :) I was reading a post yesterday about the massive performance
> > improvements by rasterizing the vectors and then moving them to the GPU,
> > http://goo.gl/WXkmA. I haven't seen this approach before and it may not
> > have been possible before but with Stage 3d, Starling and WebGL it now
> is a
> > choice. And if that works then we may be able to apply it to the Flex SDK
> > and even HTML output (it renders at difference sizing so as you zoom in
> or
> > out it maintains fidelity - I think).
> Did I read that post correctly?  I think it supports my choice of bitmaps
> over vectors for the future.

Ha, yes. :) I was concerned that we may still need a drawing canvas at
runtime or that we should keep looking into it. What if you change the
color of a button? I was looking online and I think the HTML canvas has a
draw command. So we could mix and match. We draw to the canvas and then
rasterize it and load it into the dictionary replacing the last instance if
it's been updated. If the canvas doesn't allow it we can also check webgl.
I haven't had a chance to look at Flex JS but I will this weekend.

> > Someone mentioned in the comments on a recent post that if we replaced
> > DisplayObject type with IDisplayObject we could use our own renderers. We
> > could then have in our Flex applications something like a
> > stageRenderer:IRenderer property / interface.
> >
> > Really, if we get this to work and apps run as silky smooth as games do
> > then it will put Flex / AIR on the map for apps.
> I have heard that the key to performance is the number of times you need to
> render your vectors to bitmaps.  There are certain things (like zoom
> effects) that you don't think twice about using in vector rendering that
> kill you when trying to get to the GPU.  I think I was told that if you can
> design your visuals as a set of fixed size visuals (which I guess games
> often do) then you get the benefits of GPU.  Then the question is, if your
> visuals are fixed size, why not transcode them to bitmaps at compile time
> instead of run time?

Indeed although I can't confirm.

Harb, I think they said they were but I am still able to choose it as a
rendering mode in AIR 3.6. But in this context was using it interchangeably
with Stage3D for Flash and WebGL for browser.