> Ok, so, yes, it has been discussed on this list with the conclusion it wasn't
> feasible by INFRA but one one asked them.

Okay, that's fine if the people here decided it was infeasible I can accept
that.

Sometimes I think we just solve the wrong problems and I was wondering if that
was the case here. To me, many of the reasons you are favoring the rebase
workflow is so that people can't accidently mess up a merge (and yes, it can
keep the history cleaner). Places like the Linux kernel don't have that issue
because people are effectively working in their own repo with a limited number
of people actually merging up into develop and managing master. It also makes
the scenarios that I was describing to Alex, code reviewing someone's changes,
jumping back and forth in time, all more feasible. Without it, we really do
have everyone pushing their branches back into the same repo, etc. and it does
feel (as several people have pointed out) like a more complicated SVN. Just
thinking aloud.

Mike