Was there really a -u?  Any idea what that was from?  In
mustella/test_changes.sh I have a test for a non-empty failures.txt that
seems to be working for me.

If failures.txt does not exist or is empty, -failures will run all tests.
I suppose we should fix that, but in general -failures should not be run
unless there is something in failures.txt.  How did you test for
failures.txt and could it have modified the file and left it empty?