I would just be creating more png.xml files and checking them in.  This
will have the side-effect of making a repo clone take longer, and slow
down git status further, but once done just about any player version
should work.

The process I use to create png.xml files is:
1) pick a folder of test that failed.
2) run that folder with -createImages (you can't always just run the
failures because prior tests can affect the display list)
3) run git status to make sure the png files for the failing tests have
not changed
4) if they haven't, add the png.xml files for the failing tests to git and
delete all of the others.
5) if the png files show up as modified, investigate further.