Hi, first off I want to apologize if you feel this was posted to the wrong list
- it just seemed to me like an SDK issue rather than a general coding issue.
If you think I should post to the other list let me know and I will do so.

Using a custom OSMF player that implements a generic MediaFactory approach, we
are able to playback all types of media, including using an F4M file, except
for multicast (the F4M we used successfully was not for a multicast).

In this document they describe two methods for using Multicast:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/OSMF/1.0/Dev/WSc6f922f643dd2e6d-ac2daa912a39568489-7ffe.html

Our implementation was actually using MediaFactory, not DefaultMediaFactory,
but to try and troubleshoot the issue I tried the two code snippets in the
above document.  The first approach did not work at all.  The video just never
shows up, there are no errors or anything so it's very hard to debug.  I'm
really not sure why an F4M for a non-multicast works, but doesn't work for
multicast, either. Using the second approach, I found that Flex does not even
recognize the MulticastResource class.  I get the following compile error:

1046: Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: MulticastResource.

Yet the class is clearly described in the AS3 reference guide:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/org/osmf/net/MulticastResource.html

The F4M manifest for the multicast is being generated by Adobe Media Server 5,
using the configuration tool (an updated version provided to me by Adobe, since
the bundled version did not work at all).

Any clue what might be going on?  I'm using the latest release Apache Flex SDK,
4.9.1, and just to double check I also tried switching to Flex SDK 4.6.0, which
gave exactly the same result.  I tried cleaning the project - no change.

We also confirmed that the Multicast stream does in fact playback using the
Adobe Multicast player that is bundled with AMS 5.  Unfortunately that player
does not support close captions, skinning, or any of the other requirements
that the client has (the OSMF player we made does, though).  There is no source
code provided for that player, either.

Basically all I can think of at this point are two possibilities:

a) the F4M manifest format produced by AMS 5 is not compatible with what is
expected by OSMF.  This seems like a stretch though since the Adobe bundled
player works, and I'm assuming that one is also using OSMF components.

b) There is a bug in the Flex SDK that goes back as far as 4.6.0 or earlier,
where the classes needed to deal with multicast aren't there, specifically the
MulticastResource class.  Again, this doesn't make sense, either, since the
Adobe bundled player does work.

Can you confirm that MulticastResource is still part of OSMF, which is now
bundled with Flex SDK?  If so, any idea why FlashBuilder would throw such an
error?

thanks

Fuad Kamal
Anaara LLC