On 10/29/13 6:40 AM, "f...@dfguy.us" <f...@dfguy.us> wrote:

>Well the ability to control display objects however you want and the
>entire class structure is obviously different. So you essentially have
>everything on screen as a canvas. Plus the display list allows you to
>manage the organization of objects in a nice clean way that is intuitive.
>Also my experience with both this and some modern js libraries leaves me
>preferring the code organization provided with flex projects, pqckages
>and classes. Javascript on the other hand can be more difficult to
>organize in a reuseable way. Then the javascript language itself is not
>very good.
There is general agreement on this point.  That's why there is FlexJS, and
Dart, and TypeScript, and bunches of other attempts to put more structure
around JS.

>I like the idea of having a working exporter to port the projects to
>working js to target more platforms. I would just like to see Adobe
>continuing to improve the runtime and make improvements that support
>things like flex mobile. For example getting better native controls for
>inputs and media. I really like having the framework with Apache because
>it seems like everyone can get closer to the development and drive the
>new features. Really all that's needed in my mind is some solid footing
>from Adobe so that people can have confidence in the platform going
>forward. With flash and air and then potentially js support it really is
>a great cross platform solution.
Even though I work for Adobe, my entire goal with Apache Flex is to make
sure Apache Flex is essentially not reliant on anything Adobe.  FlexJS's
current plan for mobile is to use Apache Cordova (PhoneGap) to publish the
app.  Then you'll get even wider device coverage and integration with
native controls.  There are some concerns about performance, but we'll
see.  And nothing stops a group of committers from adding a different
output format to FalconJX and try to get it to output ObjectiveC or Java
and try to write native apps.  But Apache Flex's success is not going to
be predicated on what Adobe does or doesn't do with Flash and AIR.  All I
need is more time and more help.