If Shumway ever gets completed and officially supported, it could extend swf format lifetime but it would also introduce a platform fragmentation. Not sure if it could ever cover the entire functionality of Adobe Flash player? As I understand it, mostly because of 3rd party IP. Adobe has a business model that justifies these royalties, but Mozilla probably doesn't...

Tomislav