From: "Michael A. Labriola" <labri...@digitalprimates.net>
To: "dev@flex.apache.org" <dev@flex.apache.org>
Sent: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 1:28 PM
Subject: RE: Mozilla takes on Flash

>Search for "Puffin Web Browser" on the App Store.
>https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/puffin-web-browser-free/id472937654?mt=8

>It has support for Flash.

>But it's so slow, even on simple flash pages...

The real key to this is in the detail. This is from the apple licensing
agreement:

"3.3.2 An Application may not download or install executable code. Interpreted
code may only be used in an Application if all scripts, code and interpreters
are packaged in the Application and not downloaded. The only exception to the
foregoing is scripts and code downloaded and run by Apple's built-in WebKit
framework."

Or later

" An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any
means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture,
calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be
downloaded or used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and
run by Appleā€™s Documented APIs and built-in interpreter(s)."

So, this is kind of a killer for a format like the SWF. Flash Player downloaded
this external code, then just in time compiled it for the local runtime and
executed it. That can't happen in the iOS world by the license agreement. If
something like Shumway can run through WebKit, then it can work. Things like
puffin are slow because they remotely execute the Flash code and then basically
show you what it looks like. It's more a VNC client than local flash.

Mike