I’d like to propose a different view on the problem.

Many native mobile components provide a separate UI strategy for display
end edit: think of single and multiple selection controls, date and time
input controls, etc. Text input controls, in native applications, have a
mixed approach: sometimes, especially on phones and in landscape mode,
provide an input area that is actually part of the soft keyboard, instead
of using the original control UI for interaction. Other times, the original
control is directly used.

I think that, for the majority of mobile applications, it would be a
perfectly reasonable tradeoff to always use a dedicated UI for editing
content. This could be done using the native soft keyboard functionalities,
if the AIR runtime does provide the required hooks. Otherwise, we could
implement a TextPopupInput control managing a popup-on-edit UI. The popup
should only take into account the soft keyboard, instead of clipping,
scrolling, occlusion, etc.

In general, I think we could provide a set of popup edit controls for
mobile, that IMO are currently missing (single selection, multiple
selection, date, time and date/time, etc).

This is not a perfect solution for mobile applications heavily focused on
text input operations (e.g. a note-taking app or a mobile word processor)
but could be a reasonable and consistent for form-based and simpler input
operations, that is the most common scenario in mobile apps.