It saves us a great deal of time and resources when we have to release new art.

We can break cache on the art asset module and not have to run a full QA
regression on the main app.  This gives us the flexibility as a company to
deliver constantly changing content to our users w/o forcing them to download
every file again, or dedicating our time and resources to QA of the application
when we only want to change a single image in the game list.

It is a logistical and political need as much as it is a technical decision to
approach it this way.