I tested the new installer on Flex SDK:

Configuration:
Windows 7, locale = FR
- had to uninstall previous installer (2.8)

Test #1: Flex SDK 4.12 nightly installs correctly and uses ANT
- run installer on Flex SDK 4.12 nightly with AIR 3.9 and FP 11.9
- Added SDK in IDEA IntelliJ 13
- Compiled and run a large Flex Web App

Results:
+ Installation went well (lasted roughly 15 min)
+ App compiled and started successfully

- minor: Installation log starts in French and changes to English when running
ant part. Is that because of the un-localized yet properties ?
- minor: "Disclaimer" label to the top left of installer window, is still in
English.  It usually translates as "Mentions légales" or "Informations
juridiques", in the sense of "Legal disclaimer".
- minor: sometimes during the install, the progress panel overflows as it
displays 3 paragraphs, and the progress bar is displayed outside of the panel.

Test #1b: run SDK 4.12 Installer again, to test caching
Results:
+ installation went well, and took only 4 minutes on second run.
Is caching enabled already?

Test #3:  Test Flex SDK 4.11 GA OK and , does not use ANT .
- run installer on Flex SDK 4.11 GA with AIR 3.9 and FP 11.9
- compared directory with previous SDK 4.11 installation

Results:
+ Installation went well (lasted 8 min).
+ log shows that it used old (non ANT) installation process.

Maurice