I did a flex mobile app and also compiled an example feathers project. It
appears that the hardware acceleration with starling/feathers is the same
performance as native apps while flex has a larger set of libraries that are
loaded and run on the cpu. You use a number of techniques to reduce
computations to speed up flex. The flex framework does have a massive amount of
features available via mail and action script though.

What I was wondering was if it would be possible to create some feathers based
flex components for some of the basic ui stuff like scrolling lists. I also
wondered about using the starling objects (sprite/movieclip) at the base level
of the flex framework but I don't think that's possible because starling isn't
a complete replacement of all objects but I could be wrong. The only other
thing that cam to mind would be to render out a flex application to a hardware
accelerated display object of some kind but I'm not sure if the slowness is due
to the flex rendering or just managing the framework on the VP in which case
replacing the rendering phase and communications between the two would still be
slower.

In the past there were times that I used flex libraries in pure action script
projects as well by including some of the flex swc files and instantiating
classes in actionscript. I think I did this with some of the recipient classes
for example.

David