Could it be looking for a post variable with a specific name? Common
problems with upload have to do with data field name. The server is
expecting an attachment named "X" and instead it is posted as "Y". I
recently ran into an issue where I was uploading the LoaderInfo.bytes
instead of FileReference.data. Both are Byte Arrays but they are not the
same and the former will result in corrupt data. I don't have experience
uploading an attachment through SOAP but you may compare your results to
results from using
http://code.google.com/p/in-spirit/wiki/MultipartURLLoader. It will
assemble the data similar to what you have and you can format it for your
soap request. You can use Firebug to send and inspect your request through
Soap and then through the Multipart URL Loader and compare the data.