I worked on an intensive page layouting application that was built for the
web and was later ported to iPads.  It used TLF extensively, essentially
reading TextFlow xml and drawing TextLines on a sprite and doing all kinds
of layout control.

The text rendering performance was quite bad on iPad1, but it improved
considerably with iPad2.  Alex may be right in that we may not have that
kind of performance problems with the latest devices.

It is probably worth a try switching to FTE/TLF for mobile and see how
things perform.  Not sure how it will affect everything else, though.

Thanks,
Om